A new 'Find and replace'
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 | 7:36 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm pleased to announce a new 'Find and replace' for your Google Documents. You'll find the new 'Find and replace' in the same place under the 'Edit' menu. However, when you select it, a 'Find and Replace' toolbar will appear underneath the editor toolbar.
For more information about this feature, check out the help article below:
http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=62754
Enjoy!
Cheers,
Marie

5 comments:
ahab said...
"a new 'Find and replace' for your Google Documents"
should have been:
"a new 'Find and replace' for your Google text Documents"
Note I dislike the interface, as I had to read the help and look three times before I found the option button to set the match type mode. My document went blank after I selected 'Find previous' and tried to set an accompanying match mode... When the document came to itself (what happened? did it create a reversed image of itself, and did this cause the blanking out?) I found the Find previous ticked and that I could tick or untick all four options, I would have preferred standard check boxes, these would have made clear all options could be combined.
The info about regular expressions was as bad as it originally was; it would have helped if was mentioned that JavaScript type regular expressions can be used and that parentheses grouped expressions can be referenced in the replace box as $1, $2
What really is missing is a reset or undo button to stop or revert a search and replace; this is really needed when you want to stop a replace action going wrong.
The current limit of 30 characters is far too limited! (the previous short sentence is already longer than that!) And does this limit also apply to regular expressions? As the really nifty R.E.'s can be a good bit longer than that.
It is a disappointment the new find and replace is not available in Edit HTML mode. It could also do much good in there...
March 24, 2009 at 1:23 PM
Gill said...
"My document went blank after I selected 'Find previous' and tried to set an accompanying match mode..." i did not see this.
"I would have preferred standard check boxes, these would have made clear all options could be combined." Agreed.
I can't really comment on the info on regular expressions as I don't really understand them!
Why the 30-character limit? In fact this sont be a problem for me personally.
"What really is missing is a reset or undo button" Yup.
And yes, the ability to search easily in the HTML (or CSS) views would be invaluable.
March 24, 2009 at 2:16 PM
Not specified said...
I really don't like this feature.
I use Chrome, and one of the reasons is because when I use ctrl+f and start a search, it finds and highlights words as I type.
It's a lot quicker than having to hit "find next" all the time, and it shows me all of the matches at the same time.
Is there at least an option where I can make it work like this again??
March 26, 2009 at 5:59 AM
Gill said...
Will: "Is there at least an option where I can make it work like this again??" Yes, simply click Ctrl-F outside the Edit pane and you will get this behaviour - which is in fact Chrome's search function, not Gdocs'.
March 26, 2009 at 11:00 AM
Ken - LVKen7@gmail.com said...
Is there a way to turn the
"FIND" off?
I use FireFox
and their Find is at the bottom
and easier to use.
April 5, 2009 at 8:01 AM
Post a Comment