New Google Spreadsheets release - features and bug fixes

Thursday, December 18, 2008 | 1:32 PM

Hello Spreadsheets users,

The holidays are almost here! We thought we could fit in one more product update before you all head home to spend time with your families, and away from your computers :) Enjoy the following new features and bug fixes:

Features:

- Date picker. This new helper utility allows you to choose a date from a calendar style popup. Read more here: http://documents.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=132459 

- New 'Date time' format in '123' menu. You can now sum times above 24 hours and have it display as 30:00:00, for example. Other things you can do with new 'Date time' format: 
  • You can now enter 48:00:00, and it displays as 48:00:00
  • You can enter negative times (-10:00:00)
- HYPERLINK formula now handles 'mailto:' links. 

- Motion chart gadget now supports more time periods: day, month, quarter and year. We've also added a list to the right from the chart to make finding specific bubbles easier. 

We also updated right-click menus to include more toolbar options.

Bug fixes:

Fixed: Publishing a chart does not publish the spreadsheet 

Fixed: Enable anonymous access for embedded view 

Fixed: Broken .xml upload 

Fixed: Formulas are not exported correctly when formula are entered with spaces 

Fixed: Export to .pdf fails 

Fixed: Gadget/Chart options are disabled in object sheets 

Fixed: Scrollbar is missing from chat window in Firefox 3 on Mac 

Enjoy and happy holidays!

Christine

11 comments:

ahab said...

The date picker may need a to make it look better in September. When September is selected the year is pushed down another row, making the date picker jumpy when going from August to October. (I also noted the right >> [next month] double arrow is not as right aligned as in could be.

What is also a disappointment is that the date picker is not locale sensitive!

Багмет Виталий said...

Pre apologize for my English. I work on two computers with Vista. When I am working in the browser Chrome in the Spreadsheets are not properly work function Copy-paste. Box happening constantly down to one cell.
In other browsers, this feature is working properly.
What can that be? How do I solve this problem?
Thanks in advance!

ahab said...

I already stated the data picker is not locale sensitive, which means the names of the months will be displayed in English whatever you set the locale of the spreadsheet to; even changing the Google Docs interface language setting has no effect!

What I think is strange (or rather a bug!) is that the data picker also pops up when I double-click on a cell containing a time!

Terry Cole said...

I see the same copy and paste problem with Chrome browser and Spreadsheet when using keyboard shortcuts ctrl-C and ctrl-V. The paste occurs one box down and seems to highlight several boxes. If I use the contect menu to copy ant paste it works correctly. ctrl-C followed by context menu paste does not work correctly.

Unknown said...

What would also be very useful is if this date picker feature could be incorporated into forms for spreadsheets.

ahab said...

I also noticed the date picker pops up in cells that reference a date or time.

Apparently the data picker popup is connected to the cell format, whilst it should also look at the contents type: only the combination data (not formula) and date format should bring up the date picker when the cell is double-clicked.

tomat said...

I think the date picker should not appear in cells containing formula

Unknown said...

I opened my account and found more than 20 names that appear in my share list. now, I only share this list with one person. That person also is on the share list.
since I have not invited the rest of them to share, why do they show up on my share list. so far, they don't seem to have access to my account, but, I think this violates the privacy policy you published when I started using Documents.

Note: the Sharing of documents have been very helpful for me. I would hate to discontinue the service, but some of the info is private and not to be shared with any one else.

Unknown said...

Please give serious consideration to allowing the user to turn off autosave or at least be able to change the frequency that it saves. It makes editing VERY slow and tedious.

Bruce said...

I am using the spread sheet as a shared database (I know but that was the form in which it was started).
I make many row insertions both above and below. The first thing I noticed is that it seems a bit random where the active cell is after an insert. A few presses of the arrow keys will usually get the cell I need to start typing in highlighted.
I found a couple of rows out of order and attempted to use a cut & paste to get them where they belong. IT'S Broke! I highlighted the rows to cut, used the taskbar cut, went to where I needed the rows to be, highlighed two rows and used insert two rows above. The rows appeared but I was unable to get the paste to place the data in the two new rows. I went back up to the original location and found blank rows inserted between the rows I wanted to cut. I can work around the problems but it is awkward and time consuming.

Win7beta
FireFox 3.0.6


Bruce

Bruce said...

Well I like the ability to share the database but this thing is a MESS
I will insert a new row in it's appropriate location and next time I open the database it has moved by as much as two lines!
I am spending more time correcting things than I am entering the new data.

BETA is right.
I am OUT!

Bruce